Department of Mathematics

Van Vleck Hall, 480 Lincoln Drive, Madison, WI

Minor in Mathematics

PhD students who are not students in the Mathematics department who wish to minor in Mathematics should contact one of the Math Department Minor Advisors.

I. The Math Department Minor Requirements

The general requirements for a minor are stated in the Graduate School Catalog. Listed here are the requirements for a Math Minor under Option A. The Mathematics Department does not supervise programs under Option B.

1. A math minor consists of at least 12 graduate credits in mathematics courses which are approved by a math minor advisor. These courses must be taken as a graduate student. All courses must be completed with a grade B or better.
Graduate mathematics credits transferred from another university may be considered but prior approval by the Math Minor Advisor is necessary.

2. At least six credits must be in courses above Math 700.

3. At most one course cross-listed with the major department may be used for the math minor. This course must be staffed by the Mathematics Department and it may not be applied to any requirement for the major department.

4. According to rules by the Graduate School graduate credit can only be given for courses above 300. The Math Department has a more restrictive policy; it  typically does not consider Math courses below 500 as graduate courses. Hence  credit for Math classes below 500 will not be counted for the Minor in Mathematics. 

II. The Process

1. Plan what courses you would like to use to meet the minor requirements. You can use this form for planning the course work. You and the Math Minor Advisor complete this form and you keep a copy of it. (You can print a copy of the form and fill in some parts before the meeting.) Completion of the planning form is not required, but a completed form, signed by a Math Minor Advisor, does offer you a guarantee that the Math Department will accept your courses for a minor. The course program for a math minor must be approved by a Math Minor Advisor at some point, but this approval could also be obtained after the courses have been taken.

2. You will need a form signed by a Math Minor Advisor certifying approval of your course selection for the math minor, and/or certifying completion of the minor requirements. Your department may have forms for these purposes, or you can use a Math Department Minor Agreement Form.

3. When everything is done you need the Graduate School warrant signed. Your major department will request a warrant for you from the Graduate School. Take that warrant to one of the Math Minor Advisors for a signature and then take it back to your major department. If you have more questions, contact the Graduate Administrator at

UW-Madison Department of Mathematics
Van Vleck Hall
480 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI  53706

(608) 263-3054

Contact Us

Got a question about
accessibility, content
or structure of this website?



Privacy and copyright statement: Privacy Notice 

© 2019 The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System