Applied and Computational Mathematics
Applied and Computational Mathematics at UW-Madison
Welcome to the Applied and Computational Mathematics Group at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including fluid dynamics, partial and stochastic differential equations, scientific computing, biology, biochemistry, and topology.
To pursue graduate studies in Applied and Computational Mathematics, see the Mathematics Graduate Program.
- 1 Applied and Computational Mathematics at UW-Madison
- 1.1 News and opportunities
- 1.2 Workshops
- 1.3 Seminars
- 1.4 Tenured and tenure-track faculty
- 1.5 Postdoctoral fellows and researchers
- 1.6 Current Graduate Students
- 1.6.1 Students of David Anderson
- 1.6.2 Students of Sigurd Angenent
- 1.6.3 Students of Nan Chen
- 1.6.4 Students of Amy Cochran
- 1.6.5 Students of Gheorghe Craciun
- 1.6.6 Students of Shamgar Gurevich
- 1.6.7 Students of Qin Li
- 1.6.8 Students of Gloria Mari-Beffa
- 1.6.9 Students of Sébastian Roch
- 1.6.10 Students of Leslie Smith
- 1.6.11 Students of Saverio Spagnolie
- 1.6.12 Students of Samuel Stechmann
- 1.6.13 Students of Jean-Luc Thiffeault
- 1.6.14 Students of Fabian Waleffe
- 1.6.15 Students of Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez
- 1.7 Graduate course offerings
News and opportunities
Full a full list of recent events within the department, see the Mathematics Department Website.
- Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez has joined the department (Fall 2019).
- Amy Cochran has joined the department (Fall 2019).
- Jason Torchinsky (Ph.D. student of Sam Stechmann) has been awarded a Computational Science Graduate Fellowship from the Department of Energy (Spring 2019).
- Nan Chen has joined the department (Fall 2018).
- Will Mitchell (former Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a faculty position at Macalester College to begin in Fall 2019.
- Lei Li (former Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a faculty position at Shanghai Jiao Tong University to begin in Fall 2018.
- Jean-Luc Thiffeault was featured in Washington Post's Wonkblog on his paper exploring the mathematical history of taffy pullers. link to paper
- Gheorghe Craciun was featured in SIAM News on his recent proof of the Global Attractor Conjecture. link to paper
- Scott Hottovy (former postdoc of Sam Stechmann) has accepted a faculty position at the US Naval Academy to begin in Fall 2016.
- Reed Ogrosky (former postdoc of Sam Stechmann) has accepted a faculty position at Virginia Commonwealth University to begin in Fall 2016.
- Mathematical Fluids, Materials & Biology Ann Arbor, MI, June 12-15, 2019
- RTG Workshop: Turbulent and Coherent Convection 224 Ingraham Hall, May 27-29, 2015
Organized by Applied Math
- Applied and Computational Math Seminar (Fridays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- Graduate Applied Math Seminar (Mondays at 3:40pm, VV 901)
- Physical Applied Math Group Meeting (Spagnolie/Thiffeault) (Thursdays at 4:00pm, VV 901)
- Networks Seminar (Anderson/Johnston/Craciun) (Wednesdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
Other seminar series of interest
- Mathematics Colloquium (Fridays at 4:00pm, VV B239)
- Probability Seminar (Thursdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- SILO Seminar (Wednesdays at 12:30pm, 3rd floor WID)
- Chaos and Complex Systems Seminar (Tuesdays at 12:05pm, 4274 Chamberlin Hall)
- Physics Department Colloquium (Fridays at 3:30 pm; 2241 Chamberlin Hall)
- AOS Colloquium (Mondays at 3:30 pm; 811 AOSS building)
- Astronomy Colloquium (Thursdays at 3:45 pm; 4421 Sterling Hall)
Tenured and tenure-track faculty
David Anderson: (Duke, 2005) probability and stochastic processes, computational methods for stochastic processes, biochemical networks, mathematical/systems biology.
Sigurd Angenent: (Leiden, 1986) partial differential equations.
Nan Chen: (Courant, 2016) contemporary applied mathematics, geophysics, applied stochastics, algorithms and data science.
Amy Cochran: (Cornell, 2013) population health science, computational psychiatry.
Gheorghe Craciun: (Ohio State, 2002) mathematical biology, biochemical networks, biological interaction networks.
Shamgar Gurevich: (Tel Aviv, 2006) Representation theory of groups, algebraic geometry, applications to signal Processing, structural biology, mathematical physics.
Qin Li: (Wisconsin, 2012) applied & computational mathematics.
Gloria Mari-Beffa: (Minnesota, 1991) differential geometry, applied math.
Sébastien Roch: (Berkeley, 2007) applied probability, statistics and theoretical computer science, with emphasis on biological applications.
Leslie Smith: (MIT, 1988) applied mathematics. Waves and coherent structures in oceanic and atmospheric flows.
Saverio Spagnolie: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, biological locomotion, soft matter, computational mathematics.
Sam Stechmann: (Courant, 2008) applied math, stochastic modeling, fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, computational mathematics.
Jean-Luc Thiffeault: (Texas, 1998) fluid dynamics, mixing, biological swimming and mixing, topological dynamics.
Fabian Waleffe: (MIT, 1989) applied and computational mathematics. Fluid dynamics, hydrodynamic instabilities. Turbulence and unstable coherent flows.
Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez: (MIT, 2015) machine learning, numerical analysis, wave propagation, inverse problems.
Postdoctoral fellows and researchers
Majid Arabgol: HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
Anakewit (Tete) Boonkasame: (UW Madison, 2012)
Marko Budišić: (UC Santa Barbara, 2012) dynamical systems
Yongyong Cai: (National University of Singapore, 2012)
Arthur Evans: (UCSD, 2011) soft matter, complex fluids
Prerna Gera: (Buffalo, 2018) fluid-structure interactions
Matthew Johnston: (University of Waterloo, 2011) dynamical systems
Current Graduate Students
Students of David Anderson
Students of Sigurd Angenent
Students of Nan Chen
Jeffrey Covington: Student of Nan Chen.
Xiao Hou: Student of Nan Chen.
Yuchen Li: Student of Nan Chen.
Yingda Li: Student of Nan Chen.
Students of Amy Cochran
Enkhzaya Enkhtaivan: Student of Amy Cochran.
Students of Gheorghe Craciun
Polly Yu: Student of Gheorghe Craciun.
Students of Shamgar Gurevich
Students of Qin Li
Anjali Nair: Student of Qin Li and Samuel Stechmann.
Students of Gloria Mari-Beffa
Students of Sébastian Roch
Max Bacharach: Student of Sébastian Roch.
Shuqi Yu: Student of Sébastian Roch.
Students of Leslie Smith
Students of Saverio Spagnolie
Wilson Lough: Student of Saverio Spagnolie.
Thomas Morrell: Student of Saverio Spagnolie and Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Students of Samuel Stechmann
Tianhong Huang: Student of Samuel Stechmann.
Anjali Nair: Student of Samuel Stechmann and Qin Li.
Jason Torchinsky: Student of Samuel Stechmann.
Students of Jean-Luc Thiffeault
Gage Bonner: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault and Benedek Valko.
Carrie Hongfei Chen: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Yu Feng: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Jing Hao: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Thomas Morrell: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault and Saverio Spagnolie.
Bryan Oakley: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Huanyu Wen: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Students of Fabian Waleffe
Students of Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez
Graduate course offerings
- Math 623: Complex Analysis (Betsy Stovall)
- Math 627: Introduction to Fourier Analysis (Sergey Denisov)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (Vadim Gorin, Benedek Valko)
- Math 703: Methods of Applied Mathematics I (Gheorghe Craciun)
- Math 714: Methods of Computational Math I (Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez)
- Math 833: Topics in the Theory of Probability (Nan Chen)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (Scott Smith, Erik Bates, Tetiana Shcherbyna)
- Math 704: Methods of Applied Mathematics II (Jean-Luc Thiffeault)
- Math 705: Mathematical Fluid Dynamics (Leslie Smith)
- Math 715: Methods of Computational Math II (Leonardo Andrés Zepeda-Núñez)
- Math 716: Ordinary Differential Equations (Sigurd Angenent)
- Math 801: Topics in Applied Mathematics (Gheorghe Craciun)
- Math 807: Dynamical Systems (Hung Tran)
- Math 820: Partial Differential Equations (Chanwoo Kim)
Return to the Mathematics Department Wiki Page