Difference between revisions of "Applied and Computational Mathematics"
(→News and opportunities)
(→Postdoctoral fellows and researchers)
|Line 120:||Line 120:|
HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
[http://www.math.wisc.edu/~:] (, )
University of Waterloo
University of Waterloo
Revision as of 14:33, 1 November 2012
Applied Mathematics at UW-Madison
Welcome to the Applied Mathematics Group at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including fluid dynamics, partial and stochastic differential equations, scientific computing, biology, biochemistry, and topology.
News and opportunities
- Sarah Tumasz (student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault) was awarded the 2012/13 John Nohel Prize in Applied Mathematics for her thesis, "Topological stirring."
- Qiang Deng (student of Leslie Smith) graduated in Summer 2012 and has a postdoc at Courant Abu-Dhabi starting Sept 2012.
- Hesam Dashti (student of Amir Assadi) received an MSc in Computational Mathematics in May 2012 and continues his PhD in Biophysics at UW Madison.
- Anakewit (Tete) Boonkasame (Ph.D. student of Paul Milewski) graduated in Summer 2012, and is now a postdoc with Leslie Smith and Fabian Waleffe.
- Zhan Wang (Ph.D. student of Paul Milewski) graduated in Summer 2012, and is now a postdoc with Jean-Marc Vanden-Broeck at UCL.
- Peng Qi (Ph.D. student of Shi Jin) graduated in Summer 2012 and took a Quantitative Associate position at Wells Fargo Bank in California.
- Li (Aug) Wang (Ph.D. student of Shi Jin) graduated in Summer 2012 and is now an postdoctoral Assistant Professor at University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.
- Research Projects in High Performance Computation and BIGDATA resources are available for graduate students taking courses or participating in Persepolis research projects.
- Funding opportunity for a postdoctoral researcher in the area of stochastic and statistical modeling of climate (contact Sam Stechmann, supported by ONR, apply at mathjobs.org).
- David Seal (Ph.D. student with James Rossmanith) graduated in 2012 and is now a post-doc at Michigan State University.
- E. Alec Johnson (Ph.D. student with James Rossmanith) graduated and is now a post-doc at the Centre for Plasma Astrophysics (KU-Leuven).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study dynamics of large-scale molecular systems, such as cell membranes (contact Julie Mitchell, supported by NSF).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study mathematics of fluids - regularity and mixing, more for information check http://www.math.wisc.edu/~kiselev/graduate.html (contact Sasha Kiselev, supported by NSF).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study chemotaxis and applications in mathematical biology, more for information check http://www.math.wisc.edu/~kiselev/graduate.html (contact Sasha Kiselev, supported by NSF).
- Saverio Spagnolie has accepted a position as a tenure-track assistant professor in our department. Saverio will join us this Fall. Welcome to the group, Saverio!
- Bokai Yan (PhD student with Shi Jin) graduated in Fall 2011 and is now a postdoc at UCLA.
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study persistence and multistability in biological networks (contact Gheorghe Craciun, supported by NIH).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study mathematical analysis of mass spectrometry data and proteomics (contact Gheorghe Craciun, supported by NSF).
- Li Wang (PhD student with Leslie Smith) graduated and has a job at Epic.
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study waves in geophysical flows and tropical cyclogenesis (contact Leslie Smith, supported by NSF).
- Funding opportunity for a graduate student to study nonlinear critical layers and exact coherent states in turbulent shear flows (contact Fabian Waleffe, supported by NSF).
organized by Applied Math
- Applied and Computational Math Seminar (Fridays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- GPS Applied Math Seminar (Fridays at 9:55am, VV 901)
- Joint Math/Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences Informal Seminar (Thursdays at 3:45 pm, AOS 811)
other seminar series of interest
- Mathematics Colloquium (Fridays at 4:00pm, VV B239)
- SILO Seminar (Wednesdays at 12:30pm, 3rd floor WID)
- WID-DOW Seminar (Mondays at 4:00pm, 3rd floor WID)
- Chaos and Complex Systems Seminar (Tuesdays at 12:05pm, 4274 Chamberlin Hall)
- RRC Lecture (Fridays at 12:05pm, 1800 Engineering Hall)
- Physics Department Colloquium (Fridays at 3:30 pm; 2241 Chamberlin Hall)
Tenured and tenure-track faculty
David Anderson: (Duke, 2005) probability and stochastic processes, computational methods for stochastic processes, mathematical/systems biology.
Sigurd Angenent: (Leiden, 1986) partial differential equations.
Amir Assadi: (Princeton, 1978) computational & mathematical models in molecular biology & neuroscience.
Nigel Boston: (Harvard, 1987) algebraic number theory, group theory, arithmetic geometry, computational algebra, coding theory, cryptography, and other applications of algebra to electrical engineering.
Gheorghe Craciun: (Ohio State, 2002) mathematical biology, biochemical networks, biological interaction networks.
Shamgar Gurevich: (Tel Aviv, 2006) Representation theory of groups, algebraic geometry, applications to signal Processing, structural biology, mathematical physics.
Shi Jin: (Arizona, 1991) applied & computational mathematics.
Alex (Sasha) Kiselev: (CalTech, 1997) partial differential equations, Fourier analysis and applications in fluid mechanics, combustion, mathematical biology and Schrödinger operators.
Gloria Mari-Beffa: (Minnesota, 1991) differential geometry, applied math.
Julie Mitchell: (Berkeley, 1998) computational mathematics, structural biology.
Sébastien Roch: (Berkeley, 2007) applied probability, statistics and theoretical computer science, with emphasis on biological applications.
Leslie Smith: (MIT, 1988) applied mathematics. Waves and coherent structures in oceanic and atmospheric flows.
Saverio Spagnolie: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, biological locomotion, computational mathematics.
Sam Stechmann: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, computational mathematics.
Jean-Luc Thiffeault: (Texas, 1998) fluid dynamics, mixing, biological swimming and mixing, topological dynamics.
Fabian Waleffe: (MIT, 1989) applied and computational mathematics. Fluid dynamics, hydrodynamic instabilities. Turbulence and unstable coherent flows.
Andrej Zlatos: (Caltech, 2003) partial differential equations, combustion, fluid dynamics, Schrödinger operators, orthogonal polynomials
Postdoctoral fellows and researchers
Majid Arabgol: HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
Anakewit (Tete) Boonkasame: (UW Madison, 2012)
Yongyong Cai: (National University of Singapore, 2012)
Gerardo Hernandez-Duenas: (Michigan, 2011) geophysical fluid dynamics
Matthew Johnston: (University of Waterloo, 2011) dynamical systems
Current Graduate Students
Adel Ardalan: Student of Amir Assadi.
Hamisha Ardalani: Student of Amir Assadi.
Claire Blackman: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Yongtao Cheng: Student of James Rossmanith.
Alireza Fotuhi: Student of Amir Assadi.
Leland Jefferis: Student of Shi Jin.
Mohammad Khabbazian: Student of Amir Assadi.
Masanori (Maso) Koyama: Student of David Anderson.
Lei Li: Student of Shi Jin.
Qin Li: Student of Shi Jin.
Hasti Mirkia: Student of Amir Assadi.
Peter Mueller: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Arash Sangari: Student of Amir Assadi.
Ebru Selin Selen: Student of Amir Assadi.
Yun Sun: Student of Shi Jin.
Sarah Tumasz: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Elizabeth Skubak Wolf: Student of David Anderson.
Qian You: Student of Sigurd Angenent.
Zhennan Zhou: Student of Shi Jin.
Graduate course offerings
- Math 606: Mathematical Methods for Structural Biology (Julie Mitchell)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (David Anderson)
- Math 703: Methods of Applied Mathematics 1 (Jean-Luc Thiffeault)
- Math 705: Mathematical Fluid Dynamics (Saverio Spagnolie)
- Math 714: Methods of Computational Math I (Shi Jin)
- Math 833: Topics in Probability - Stochastic Processes in Evolution and Genetics (Sebastien Roch)
- Math 842: Topics in Applied Algebra for EE/Math/CS students (Shamgar Gurevich)
- Math 704: Methods of Applied Mathematics 2 (Sam Stechmann)
- Math 715: Methods of Computational Math II (Saverio Spagnolie)
- Math 801: Topics in Applied Mathematics -- Mathematical Aspects of Mixing (Jean-Luc Thiffeault)
Return to the Mathematics Department Wiki Page