Applied and Computational Mathematics
Applied Mathematics at UW-Madison
Welcome to the Applied Mathematics Group at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Our faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, and students are involved in a variety of research projects, including fluid dynamics, partial and stochastic differential equations, scientific computing, biology, biochemistry, and topology.
News and opportunities
- Lei Li (Ph.D. student of Saverio Spagnolie) has accepted a postdoc offer from Duke University and will begin in Fall 2014.
- Gheorghe Craciun has received a Vilas Associate Award!
- Sam Stechmann has been awarded a Sloan Fellowship!
- Zhennan Zhou (Ph.D. student of Shi Jin) has accepted a postdoc offer from Duke University and will begin in Fall 2014.
- Jingwei Hu (former Ph.D. student of Shi Jin, currently a postdoc at Texas-Austin) has accepted a tenure-track assistant professor position at Purdue University and will begin in Fall 2014.
- Masanori Koyama (Ph.D. student of David Anderson) graduated in Fall 2014. He began a postdoc at the Department of Systems Science, Kyoto University starting in January 2014.
- Leland Jefferis (Ph.D. student of Shi Jin) was awarded an NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship and will be a postdoc at Department of Mathematics, Stanford University starting in Fall 2014.
- Qin Li (student of Shi Jin) graduated in Summer 2013. She was awarded an Excellence in Research award by the math department and has accepted a von Karman Instructor position at Caltech.
- RTG Workshop: Turbulent and Coherent Convection 224 Ingraham Hall, May 27-29, 2015
organized by Applied Math
- Applied and Computational Math Seminar (Fridays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- Graduate Applied Math Seminar (Mondays at 3:40pm, VV 901)
- Physical Applied Math Group Meeting (Spagnolie/Thiffeault) (Thursdays at 4:00pm, VV 901)
- Networks Seminar (Anderson/Johnston/Craciun) (Wednesdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
other seminar series of interest
- Mathematics Colloquium (Fridays at 4:00pm, VV B239)
- Probability Seminar (Thursdays at 2:25pm, VV 901)
- SILO Seminar (Wednesdays at 12:30pm, 3rd floor WID)
- WID-DOW Seminar (Mondays at 4:00pm, 3rd floor WID)
- Chaos and Complex Systems Seminar (Tuesdays at 12:05pm, 4274 Chamberlin Hall)
- Physics Department Colloquium (Fridays at 3:30 pm; 2241 Chamberlin Hall)
- AOS Colloquium (Mondays at 3:30 pm; 811 AOSS building)
- Astronomy Colloquium (Thursdays at 3:45 pm; 4421 Sterling Hall)
Tenured and tenure-track faculty
David Anderson: (Duke, 2005) probability and stochastic processes, computational methods for stochastic processes, biochemical networks, mathematical/systems biology.
Sigurd Angenent: (Leiden, 1986) partial differential equations.
Amir Assadi: (Princeton, 1978) computational & mathematical models in molecular biology & neuroscience.
Nigel Boston: (Harvard, 1987) algebraic number theory, group theory, arithmetic geometry, computational algebra, coding theory, cryptography, and other applications of algebra to electrical engineering.
Gheorghe Craciun: (Ohio State, 2002) mathematical biology, biochemical networks, biological interaction networks.
Shamgar Gurevich: (Tel Aviv, 2006) Representation theory of groups, algebraic geometry, applications to signal Processing, structural biology, mathematical physics.
Shi Jin: (Arizona, 1991) applied & computational mathematics.
Alex (Sasha) Kiselev: (CalTech, 1997) partial differential equations, Fourier analysis and applications in fluid mechanics, combustion, mathematical biology and Schrödinger operators.
Gloria Mari-Beffa: (Minnesota, 1991) differential geometry, applied math.
Julie Mitchell: (Berkeley, 1998) computational mathematics, structural biology.
Sébastien Roch: (Berkeley, 2007) applied probability, statistics and theoretical computer science, with emphasis on biological applications.
Leslie Smith: (MIT, 1988) applied mathematics. Waves and coherent structures in oceanic and atmospheric flows.
Saverio Spagnolie: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, biological locomotion, soft matter, computational mathematics.
Sam Stechmann: (Courant, 2008) fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, computational mathematics.
Jean-Luc Thiffeault: (Texas, 1998) fluid dynamics, mixing, biological swimming and mixing, topological dynamics.
Fabian Waleffe: (MIT, 1989) applied and computational mathematics. Fluid dynamics, hydrodynamic instabilities. Turbulence and unstable coherent flows.
Andrej Zlatos: (Caltech, 2003) partial differential equations, combustion, fluid dynamics, Schrödinger operators, orthogonal polynomials
Postdoctoral fellows and researchers
Majid Arabgol: HPC & Visualization Research Scholar
Anakewit (Tete) Boonkasame: (UW Madison, 2012)
Marko Budišić: (UC Santa Barbara, 2012) dynamical systems
Yongyong Cai: (National University of Singapore, 2012)
Shengqian "Chessy" Chen: (UNC Chapel Hill, 2013) nonlinear waves, fluid dynamics, atmospheric science
Gerardo Hernandez-Duenas: (Michigan, 2011) geophysical fluid dynamics
Scott Hottovy: (Arizona, 2013) probability, stochastic processes, atmospheric science
Matthew Johnston: (University of Waterloo, 2011) dynamical systems
Reed Ogrosky: (UNC Chapel Hill, 2013) nonlinear waves, fluid dynamics, atmospheric science
Current Graduate Students
Adel Ardalan: Student of Amir Assadi.
Hamisha Ardalani: Student of Amir Assadi.
James Brunner: Student of Gheorghe Craciun.
Bryan Crompton: Student of Saverio Spagnolie.
Alireza Fotuhi: Student of Amir Assadi.
Jing Hao: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Leland Jefferis: Student of Shi Jin.
Mohammad Khabbazian: Student of Amir Assadi.
Masanori (Maso) Koyama: Student of David Anderson.
Lei Li: Student of Saverio Spagnolie.
Liu Liu: Student of Shi Jin
Hasti Mirkia: Student of Amir Assadi.
Will Mitchell: Student of Saverio Spagnolie.
Peter Mueller: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Ting-Ting Nan: Student of Nigel Boston.
Arash Sangari: Student of Amir Assadi.
Ebru Selin Selen: Student of Amir Assadi.
Yun Sun: Student of David Anderson.
Huanyu Wen: Student of Jean-Luc Thiffeault.
Elizabeth Skubak Wolf: Student of David Anderson.
Qian You: Student of Sigurd Angenent.
Zhennan Zhou: Student of Shi Jin.
Graduate course offerings
- Math 606: Mathematical Methods for Structural Biology (Julie Mitchell)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (Sebastien Roch, Benedek Valko)
- Math 703: Methods of Applied Mathematics I (Gheorghe Craciun)
- Math 714: Methods of Computational Math I (Sam Stechmann)
- Math 801: Topics in Applied Mathematics (Shi Jin)
- Math 632: Introduction to Stochastic Processes (Sebastien Roch, Jun Yin)
- Math 704: Methods of Applied Mathematics II (Sam Stechmann)
- Math 715: Methods of Computational Math II (Saverio Spagnolie)
- Math 801: Topics in Applied Mathematics: Nonlinear dynamics and applications (Gheorghe Craciun)
Return to the Mathematics Department Wiki Page